One of the healthiest nuts is Walnuts, they are good for your heart, have high amounts of alpha linoleic acid (ALA), and 14 halves contain 185 calories, 18 grams fat, 4 grams protein. Research suggests that ALA helps heart arrhythmia. It is also a good source of neuroprotective compounds, including vitamin E, folate, melatonin, omega-3 fats, and antioxidants.
Personally, I’m not a fan of Walnuts, but I was a making a salad and I thought that it would make a great addition to it. I wanted to do something different than just adding plain walnuts so I thought why not add a bit of sweetness to it without adding it directly to the salad. There are plenty of versions of making candied walnuts but I did not want to use sugar and I had maple syrup (from when I travelled to Canada a little while back) and I was looking for an opportunity for it to come in much better use than just adding it to my porridge. I don’t know if its really much healthier than caramelising sugar, but it definitely is easier with only two main ingredients.
Prep time: 0 mins, Cook time: 5 mins, Serves: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups (165 grams) walnuts
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Before you begin get a piece of parchment or wax paper.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat. This is crucial so that the maple syrup caramelises properly.
- Add the walnuts, maple syrup, vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon of salt to the pan. The salt will help enhance the sweetness, you can add more salt when cooling if you would like the walnuts to have a sweet and salty taste.
- Stirring almost constantly, cook the walnuts for 2-5 mins or until the syrup has caramelised and there should be no liquid left in the pan.
- Spoon the walnuts out evenly and place it on the parchment or wax paper. If you do not want the walnuts to be clumped together after cooling, make sure to separate them now. Make sure to taste it and check if the salt if alright, if not you can add some more.
- The coating will seem soft but will harden once cooled. It takes about 30 mins to cool down but let them sit for 2 to 3 hours before placing it in an airtight container. Make sure its kept in an airtight container else they start to get a little sweaty. They can be kept at room temperature for several weeks.
- Don’t chop the nuts after candying them else you have exposed walnuts without enough coating.
Hope you’ll enjoyed this post.
Until next time, thank you for stopping by and sharing some love.